PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2006, 10:04
Rj111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTC guide.

Well i'm out at stage 3 but i may as well offer some advice to people who are thinking of applying to CTC or are already going through the process.

To be successful at CTC from my observations you will need the following traits.....

Good Apptitude - People will argue that yiou either have this or you don't but i honestly think you can improve over a perios of time. To do this play some computer game (use a joystick), practise some IQ test, improve your multitasking skills. Try pilapt prep.... http://www.cockpitweb.com/pilottest.html ... if you're really god awful at these things.

Good Maths ability - Maths is a very easy one to improve on if you have enough time. Practise long subtraction, addition, multiplication and divsion. Everyone can so this give time regardless of how rubbish you are at maths. Also learn your square numbers, currency conversions and fractions. Try this website for some practise. http://www.thatquiz.com/

Demonstrate Teamworking and Reasoning Skills - This will be easier for people who have worked full time. So if you haven't join some teams - sports teams is a good example. Also forums can be a good way of improving your reasoning and debating skills. Don't be dominant or shy, the key word is "participation", you aim is to do what's best for the team, not yourself.

Have a History of Some Leadership and Demonstrate Them - May come with teamwork and once again may be easier for people who've worked full time. But there's plenty of opportunities for people who haven't. Join a sports team like a five a side football team. Show initiative in some way get people to follow you. Take control of situations.

Show a History of Responsiblity - Lots of things you can do here too but asking to do more responsible things at your workplace is the obvious choice. Generally just being conscious of being in responsible in your life will put you on the right path.

Show a History of Determination and Hard Working - Work hard at school and university, do extra curricular activities and succeed in them. Show them you can focus and hit targets and if you had to overcome unforseen obstacles on the way....well they love that!

Demonstrate that you've Pursued a Career as an Airline Pilot - This can be done via simply getting flight hours, joining air cadets, working in the airfield bar and getting to know some pilots. Use your initiative.

Demonstrate a knowledge of the industry - Subscribe to magazines, read the aviation forum, look at airlines websites (In particular the partner airlines), routes structures and fleets, watch documentaries. There's plenty to do here.

Some Experience at Interviews So You Can Sell Yourself - A lot of young people applying may not have ever had an interview. So get yourself a few throwaway interviews at jobs which you don't necessarily want but are challenging jobs. Also read some websites on good interview skills, i recommend here..... http://www.businessballs.com/interviews.htm . Be calm, relaxed but confident on the day.

If you don't have the majority of these i would seriously consider delaying you application up to about a year and working on these skill - you may possess these skills but might have trouble demonstrating them. CTC really do take only the best of the best for obvious reasons - they're investing a lot into you - the pass rate from application to acceptance is something like 4%. They don't allow reapplications so even though at a later point in life you may make a great student you will never get a chance (unless you're asked for a resit) to get on this great scheme.

I've learnt a lot of lessons through CTC and i'm glad i went through with it. It really was the first step for me and i kind of regret that one of the best opportunities for pilots out there was the unsuccessful learning curve for me. But it has certainly opened my eyes and given me the hunger to become an airline pilot one day. Thankfully, time is on my side.

Cheers and Good Luck,
Rj111

Last edited by Rj111; 8th Dec 2006 at 11:27. Reason: Spelling