PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Distance Learning with NAC in Florida
Old 8th Dec 2006, 08:49
MuddyBoots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used NAC two years ago. Any info given is based on you having a right to live and work in the EU/UK, ie citizenship or other means, otherwise save your cash.

I used NAC because of cost and the convenience of writing in Orlando. That said I would reccommend using the Oxford ATPL course books, or Bristol GS, for the study notes. It costs extra, quite a bit actually, but they produce better notes, and test prep than NAC did, unless they have vastly improved and editted they're course books. The staff were however pleasant to deal with, and knowledgeable. I'd call a couple UK schools to see if you can use them to write in Orlando. Atlantic rings a bell, and the Delta Academy in Sanford also. Doesn't hurt to ask. With Airfare, Hotel, books, fees, and the medical it came out pretty close to $7.5K CDN to convert. That said I was already type rated, and the UK company supplied sim for license ride.

You will learn all sorts of theoretical nonsense that you almost never use day to day, and is definatley not dealt with on any Canadian ATPL exams you have written. It is a mind bending exercise. A bit of ritualistic abuse, a hazing if you will into the wild and wacky world of European Aviation. That said it beats dealing with the low pay of Canadian aviation at current, even with European costs of living.

Things to note...
1) If you decide to do this...get a flight to LGW book yourself a medical first. It will cost you 250 GBP, based on already holding an ICAO class 1 medical. The initial must be done at the CAA Aeromedical Centre at LGW.

Details http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...68&groupid=211

2) Most info you need is in the LASORS handbook

Details
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...75&pagetype=68

PM me if you need more details.

Its wet and my boots are muddy.