PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEFO pax
Thread: DEFO pax
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2006, 00:58
Kane Toed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay NC, I have spent some time thinking about your reply, and, even though I know I'm pretty slow in the synapse department, I need you to clarify EXACTLY how:
the employment of DEFOs could speed up your upgrade
The first point I have issue with:
every DEFO pretty much saves a course
How so? Are you suggesting that SYD based FOs are not going to come to HK to do the 'bus groundschool and a sim / flying syllabus? Freighter DEFOs currently do a groundschool that is the same duration as the SO new joiners, a sim syllabus and then of course base training before the minimum of 25 sectors flying under supervision. Correct me if I'm misunderstanding how training works, but surely that is a greater burden than the eight sims (+ 1 consolidation sim) done by new SO before s/he starts the LFUS syllabus? Moreover, SO LFUS could be done by a TFO.

The second point must surely be the actual numbers coming in. Again please tell me (and I really want to hear good news) how the imminent entry of these DEFOs will help. If in 2007 CX has a requirement for 150 FOs and fills 50 of those slots with new joiner FOs, then they are going to upgrade 33% fewer SOs than if the need was met internally. Not only that, but these new joiner FOs have a seniority number lower than mine, so they can't be considered for command until I pass them - so they are effectively 'log jamming' the system.

We have seen that some people have had a problem with JFO upgrade after a long delay as a SO. I know that we get 12 hours / year 'hands on' simulator training to keep sharp, but that is going to be woefully inadequate if we end up doing 5 or 6 years as the chief bunk maker.