PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One-up in an A36
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2006, 13:39
gassed budgie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
The A36 I routinely fly always trues out at 172/173 kts and thats with full fuel and two up. Loaded it Tas's at 168 kts. The 210N that I use on the odd occassion Trues at 171 kts with full fuel and two pob. Loaded it's back to 165 kts. It has an IO-550 which does makes a difference (210's fitted with the IO-550TI are actully a bit quicker than the A36's).

210.. Great workhorse/charter/bush machine. Carries a load and flies like a truck
Not sure why people keep saying the 210's handling is truck like. It's not. If you crank the yoke over hard in a 210 they'll roll just as rapidly as an A36. Both aircraft have relatively heavy pitch forces, the 210 winning this one. You'll also work the trim a bit harder in the 210.
The 210 however, does not have the same 'feel' that the Bonanza does.
When you roll the Bonanza over hard you can feel the ailerons moving out into the airflow and 'feel' the work that they are doing. It's almost seems like you are reaching out and carressing the ailerons out into the slipstream and have an intimate feel for what they are doing.
They're both very stable machines at a forward C of G, but on the aft limit they could both be described as feeling a bit 'tender'.
The A36 is a great flying machine, with very little adverse yaw as you roll it into a steep turn with not a lot of back pressure required to hold the attitude. At the risk of getting slapped down hard, I've been all the way round in an A36. It felt just right and did it so easily. Fantastic aeroplane.
Gripes? A couple. It's a hot machine in the summer, not just the direct sunlight but they throw a lot of heat back from behind the panel.
At times they can also come up a bit short on endurance with just on 74 USG available. The 210 will go another hour, the Saratoga two.
If I had to choose between the two I would go for the 210. I just can't get around the load that they will carry, over a long distance at a good airspeed. A great aeroplane. Perhaps the best piston single Cessna ever pushed out the factory doors at Wichita. Apologies, a bit OT there.
I think the original post was about landing the Bonanza with a forward C of G and not getting the nose up far enough, and then rolling it on with all three wheels at the same time. Yes, it's an easy thing to do if one hasn't flown the A36 a lot. With full flap you'll need a decent tug on the yoke to get nose up where you want it. I sometimes leave the flaps at 20 degrees and find it easier to achieve the attitude I'm after. But it's not difficult to achieve consistant touchdowns with the mains on first.
It is an easy aeroplane to land and fly with no hidden vices. The aircraft systems are easy to understand and to use. It's one of the all time classic GA aeroplanes. If you had to pick three aircraft to make the 'classic' list, the Beech Bonanza would be one of them.
That's why it's been in continuous production for nearly sixty years.