PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 7th Dec 2006, 13:38
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by npasque
in some respects it is somewhat unfair to us 200hr course pilots, due to the fact that we learnt to fly the hard way. We need to head out to god knows where and rack up 1000 hours for almost no money. Then come along these guys, sit their MPL program, learn to use a gps and hop in the right seat of a 747 earning maybe $60,000USD?
People have been going to the RHS with 200 hours for years from integrated courses, and indeed many modular guys do so too nowadays.

Originally Posted by npasque
Tell me this, how would you feel if you knew the F/O had 200hrs and the captain has just passed out? I would be a little anxious myself. Not because he cant fly, by god he can, but he lacks the experience and most probably has not dealt with any real life emergenicies before.
Except they have spent far longer than you doing just that in the same aircraft sim type as the aircraft that that they are now flying.

Better suited for the situation? Certainly.

Fair? Fairness has never entered the equation. If 1000 hours bashing around the country in a light aircraft is unnecessary, as many trainers believe, why bother.