PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 7th Dec 2006, 05:42
npasque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr MPL... what?!?

the whole concept is quite flawed. I actually am just finishing my training at a school wher the MPL is being implemented this year (Airline Academy of Australia, Archerfield).
We know these guys are just being trained to push buttons, they are trained to fly the autopilot and to program the gps. Fair enough that they learn the basic flying skills, however i would like to see how they cope with a complete electrical failure and pressurization failure at say FL250, and find their way back to the nearest airport using only DR techniques. Once the electricity disappears, the gps and fmc wont help you anymore.

I, of course did the typical 200 hour CPL+MEIR course, finding the road junctions and ****ty towns in the middle of whoop. I dont call myself a pro pilot but i can at least say that i believe if i was thrown in that situation i probably would be able to find the nearest airport whilst the newbie MPL F/O will probably still be trying to reboot the gps. SO there are pros and cons, just like with everything else

Just my two cents