PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One-up in an A36
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2006, 05:35
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PilotHTR

In your situation you don't need an A36 but there are more of them around than V35s and E33s and most of the 33/35s in Oz are late 60s models where the oldest 36 is a 1970 model...actually mine is a 1970 model but there are 4 older ones than mine still in Oz.

35s had a structural issue with the V tail but I would be surprised if any are left that haven't been modded.

The 35 has a well known (airsick inducing for the rear pax) tail waggle in turbulence that is less an issue in straight tail short bodied Bonanzas such as the 33 and a non issue in the long body 36.

Yes older Bonanzas can have spar cap corrosion issues...mine did at one point and I had to change out a spar...not cheap but if you get it at the right price to begin with not a show stopper either. All older aeroplanes can have corrosion issues and, as one engineer put it to me, Bonanzas are overall less of a drama in that area than Pipers or Cessnas.

Cost of operation between a 33/35 and 36 will be near identical as they share the same engine, prop, wing and undercarriage. Overall costs might be a little higher than equivalent Cessna or Piper but there wouldn't be much in it. Bonanza parts are more expensive but they are built so much better that you don't need to buy parts all that often. In quality of build nothing else comes close to a Bonanza...36s have never been out of production so parts are available for everything even if the prices can be eye watering.

Cost of insurance/operation will mostly be impacted by the decision to have retractable undercarriage or fixed rather than other areas between the 4/6 seater choices.

The Saratoga has the baggage compartment between the engine and cabin which is great but I would suggest you will never use it as with your typical loads forward CofG will preclude it. Bonanzas flown with 6 bums have a real problem with where to put 'stuff'...flown as 4 seaters it is never an issue.

Club seating became a standard fit in 1970...about 4 or 6 serial numbers after mine. I don't see it as a hugely attractive option as with normal seating the middle seats can fold down flat and my daughter likes that option so she can sleep enroute. We call it Raffles class. With the two rear seats either removed or folded up there is a huge, easily accessed area for bags.

The big windows in a Bo give an unparralled view for all...but that comes with a price in terms of radiant heat at low altitude in summer time...you really need curtains...but the aircraft also has great vents for each seat. The aircraft also has great heating front and back when it's cold. 210s as an example are like ice boxes in the rear seats with truly crap heating...not sure about pipers. The middle row emergency exits are an industry leading feature in the Bo. Large enough for even a large adult to climb out and they fold up and completely out of the way when used as an emergency exit but open only a few inches when used as ventilation on the ground. I would say there is no better single engine aircraft when it comes to crashworthiness.

Much is made of the lack of ergonomics in the control layout on Bonanzas and yes it is an unusual failing in an otherwise amazing aeroplane...but it also has its good side...with the single 'throw over' pole and the co pilot peddles that fold flat the entire front right seat is a roomy place for a non flying pax to sit comfortably without worrying about where they puts their feet etc. General seating comfort in all seats of the Bo is excellent...they really are comfy aeroplanes to spend time in...****loads of leg room even in the middle row..I am 6'2" and can sit very comfortably anywhere, except the very rear, in my Bo.

Bonanza handling is fantastic...the 35s are very sporty, the 36s less so but still excellent. Both really need a decent A/P for serious IFR work as they tend to be harder to fly IFR than more stolid types like the Cherokee 6 variants and the 210...the 36 is better than the 35 in this respect.

The 35 can have aft CofG issues at MTOW which the 36 doesn't have.

After market mods and support for the Bo is unrivaled...because there are so many of them. They were the only single engined aircraft that never went out of production..ever...since 1948!!

The type owner/pilot group is huge...and I mean HUGE, and a gold mine of good info. American Bonanza Society and it's Australian affiliate are a must join if you plan to own one. The technical support through this group will save you many multiples of the meager membership costs.

Go out and hire one of each and see for yourself..and after you have flown each one stand back and look at each.

You will end up buying a Bo I bet! The are far and away the best looking, flying and performing single engine aircraft ever built.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 7th Dec 2006 at 06:31.