PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - upgrade failure rates / sacked while in trainig
Old 7th Dec 2006, 02:14
2 cents

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silberfuchs,

Very thoughtful and informative post. I'm sure this topic has been discussed at great length throughout all levels of the company from new joiner, to upgrade trainee right up through the training system and higher. Each with their own opinions and views on the situation.

Effective training, indeed, is very hard work. Anyone who makes it through the long road from SO to Capt, has obviously had significant exposure to the training system and many, many of the individuals that are part of it. In addition to this I was an FO during a period of high training and therefore exposed to more than my fair share of SP duties. Although fairly monotonous, I found it facinating to observe so many different styles and techniques of various check and trainers. Just like in most things, you see the whole spectrum, from very good, to very poor. Some guys are excellent at assessing the candidates capability to absorb information, and training appropriately, and in a positive atmosphere that is condusive to learning. Others are not very good at this and sometimes it is clearly obvious from a fly on the wall perspective that the trainee is getting nothing out of the experience what-so-ever. And as a personal observation, seniority, and check and training experience are not related to the quality of the check and trainer. However I have to say that in general most are very, very good at what is indeed a very demanding and challenging task.

I agree that third hand rumors should not be the basis of a contsructive discussion, and that there are always 2 sides or more, to a story. With regards to command course success, all a guy wants is a fair shot at it. In some cases I don't believe this happens due to a very few individuals that for whatever reason are incompetent in their position. This is a shame, a waste of resources, and a waste of money.