PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS - Australia II
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2006, 22:18
Pegasus747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

"The rates of pay and conditions of any EBA that was signed up to PRIOR to the laws changing last March remain perpetually effective after its expiry, provided no new EBA is agreed to." ...Jaded boiler

Essentially this is correct..except that when a Pre reform EBA expires the Company can apply to terminate an EBA and the commission after applying a public interest test must terminate it.

The current LH EBA is a pre reform EBA and there fore subject to that.

New EBA's signed post the march 06 changes reequire 90 days notice for termination and the commission must also terminate the agreement.

If the Company decides to utilise workchoices and not have another EBA with LH crew, then after 15dec 2007 they can apply to the AIRC for termination. We as long Haul crew would then fall to the "award" that sits there still but is vastly reduced in salary and reduced to a few allowable matters.

Almost every application by employers to terminate EBA's in 2006 were succesful in their entirity.

These are very dangerous times. Those that are repeating what they are being told be the uninformed have potential to do serious damage if misnomers are accepted as fact.

For those 800 flight attendants that attended the FAAA briefing should understand these issues. I think that the LH flight attendants should be seriously worried about not getting another EBA.

I certainly hope that a new EBA can be negotiated that provides , on going job security, promotion, growth for the LH division, the current redundancy conditions and protection of core conditions.

Unless that is achieved then i believe that Individual contracts in the form of AWA's will be what is headed our way.

The next election will be about the sort of AUstralia we want to live in and hand to the next generation. I say..."DONT LET JOHN HOWARD AND WORKCHOICES THROW YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN OVERBOARD"