PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 3
Thread: CARDIFF - 3
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2006, 20:42
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a1234
Well I try to fly from CWL as much as I can, because I fly twice weekly to Paris and once to Berlin as well as the occasional Dublin trip. But not one of these happens from CWL but from BRS, and I've noticed a lot of people in these flights are from South Wales. Figures show that 30% of BRS pax are from Wales so there is a huge market for atleast a couple of basic routes from CWL which include Paris, Berlin, Brussels and perhaps something to Italy.
I don't know where you came cross this figure. I would certainly be interested to learn its source.

If true it would mean that almost as many Welsh people were using BRS as CWL's pax numbers in total.

The figure that BRS uses in its master plan (final draft recently published) is 10.6% of its pax are from Wales, much the same proportion in percentage terms as the number of West Country pax using CWL.

BRS still thinks it loses around 60% of its potential catchment to other airports, mainly those in the London area, and I believe CWL's percentage figure is similar.

A lot of this of course is impossible to stem because neither BRS nor CWL is large enough to provide the worldwide services that are available from LHR.

What seems undeniable is that CWL has performed poorly in recent years, especially on the scheduled front, seemingly because its low cost operator has never really given the airport a good run.

Now that Flybe is at last coming to the party (I am surprised they waited so long) there is every chance that a decent route network will be established over the next year or two.

Look at what that airline has done for EXT and SOU, for example.