PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair
Thread: Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2006, 10:26
chikenscanfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my humble opinion...

I have added the title to this reply above for a very good reason...
I used to be very active in this forum, until ryanair pilots were finally offered a secure discussion forum by IALPA and BALPA in which to discuss labour relations issues with ryanair, REPA.

Ill omit the link to REPA in this post, as its not fair on PPRune or the moderators who do a great job here...
However, they have felt how far ryanair goes to stir up a maelstrom of smoke and mirrors, intimidation and downright dirty tricks to reduce what they consider to be costs... terms and conditions (your salary)...
The sad truth is there was a large post on PPRune, spanning over 50 pages long, regarding ryanairs recent sudden reduction in pay and conditions back in April of 2004...
Ryanair brought the legal system to bear, and PPRune was forced to remove the thread...
To this day ryanair is still posting messages on PPRune, masqueraiding as pilots giving completely false information... Im not saying those giving an opposing view should be discredited, quite often they are genuine (including LeoHairyCamel if you can believe it!)...
But keep your wits about you...

I wont go any further into that, this is once again all my humble opinion...

You have to understand this about Ryanair, especially if you are considering to work for them...
Ryanair is an airline that has grown to become a strong market force in the supply of pilots... We hire truck loads every year and lose truck loads too...
it doesnt matter... Michael OLeary has rigged up the system to make money out of high staff turnover... He strives off it...
This is why you find you have to pay for ridiculous costs that in any other airline are covered by the employer... This is why Brookfield is snuggled up so close with Ryanair under the same dingy covers...

Sure, there is the argument then that you should ignore this, sign up, get your command and be gone in 3 years... easy come easy go...

But understand that this is already happening, and those who joined 3 years ago are now facing salaries up to half as much as what they were first promised... Suddenly the point of joining is lost in the continual reduction of pay and abuse of the labour force...

And the scary thing is the other airlines are taking note... There are already examples numbering dozens in Europe where ryanair-like tactics are being employed to reduce overhead costs by breaking employment agreements and cutting salaries across the board...

so ask yourself, did you really fork out up to 90K for initial training and a type rating to be paid peanuts and be kicked aroud every day for it?...

What you accept in Ryanair this early in your career will follow you wherever you go... It will tell Ryanair that the supply is still willing to sacrifice this much, and Ryanair can therefore lower the bar for the next set of people...
The competition sees Ryanair lowering the bar, and follow in Suite...
Give 3 years, you get your promotion, and line up for your 'real job' only to find the frusteration and s**t you thought you left behind is suddenly facing you at the doormat of your next prospective employer...

I should really stop this rant...
I dont mean to drive anyone away here... I still love this job for the basic thing im doing, but it frusterates the hell out of me to see how Ryanair continually drives pay conditions lower and lower to the point where there are now pilots taking on part time jobs to cover the gaps...
Just last week Ryanair announced captain salaries in Dublin were taking a 4k dive because "Passenger growth was only 24% compared to staffing costs which rose 32%"... I kid you not...

Keep your eyes open... Apply everywhere you can... Get that first job...
but be wary, especially with Ryanair, and do the maths and ask yourself the golden question... will it be worth it for what ive laid down so far?...

If you need to fork out 2500 for a selectionphase already, I think the answer is obvious...