PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Victoria International Airlines - Uganda
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2006, 09:00
Spydee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugflyer,

I don't want to get into a shouting match with you on this. The Ugandan authorities themselves have admitted as much that VIA did not follow the correct process, see Kijana sana's post on the same. Now there is a difference between filing flight plans, getting arrival slots and filing your flight schedule with the local CAA. They did the first two but not the third. The flight schedule is the most important of the three because without it you will not be allowed to land.

As regards ET's complaints, in my opinion this is unfounded. ET has 14 flights to NBO from ADD while KQ has only 4 a week. No problem there free trade, but when KQ applies for routing of some of its flights to Jeddah and Dubai via ADD the Ethiopian authorities decline approval. KQ is 24% owned by the Kenyan government, do you honestly believe Kenyans are fools to allow this state of affairs to prevail by giving ET even more frequencies?

East African Airlines was a sad pathetic story. How does an airline with strong political backing base its entire business plan on forcing KQ to hand to them its morning and evening frequencies and as if this was not enough demand that KQ's booked passengers on those two peak flights be transferred to them in a forced codeshare? KQ agreed to give up those 2 frequencies but naturally declined to hand over its passengers. Ugandan passengers (yes UGANDAN) refused to support this airline and patiently waited for KQ's mid day flight at great inconvenience to them until East African folded.

I think you are by your own admission "naive" on these matters.