View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2006, 07:21
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuckles et al

I was landing too fast.
is almost always the problem.

The position of the Centre of Pressure and the downwash IGE from the flaps in the landing configuration is the culprit, take the thrust vector out when you "flare" and wheelbarrows R us.

The elevator authority is designed and certified to the numbers. More authority than necessary costs weight and drag.

Mooney is a good example, one of the reasons it is so fast relatively speaking is the small all moving trimable empennage for gross pitch control and smallish elevator for fine adjustments. If you dont trim (the empennage) for the landing config you'll run out of elevator way soon with a hard arrival and/or the inevitable excursion off the runway on the nose wheel. The whole thing is exacerbated by the short legs and proximity of the wing to the ground and the resultant effect. Dunno whether this is part of the "endorsement" process but as most dudes go from a C152/172 to Mooney I am not surprised that they are surprised by their behaviour.

Its really simple but I rarely meet anyone who has thought it through rather than monkey see monkey do with the instructor.