PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A good year for Modular Trainee Employment?
Old 6th Dec 2006, 01:02
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know of people that send 10 cv's every 2 months - NOT ENOUGH!!

If you want an airline job - fly as often as possible and send at least 100 CV's a month!!!
I disagree Jinks m8.

The quality of the majority of CV's floating around from low hour wannabies that I have seen in the passing is shocking. Some are even using Micro****e Word templates. All of them have the required tickets. But most don't even try and sell themselves. The young ones don't seem to have any life experence and the little they do have they don't sell. The older wannabies put to much of it in. Some you wonder if they are applying for an IT / other postion in the company or a FO position.

You get pictures of people, multi coloured, 7 different fonts on the page, more than one page. I presume most people don't realise that most CV's get photo copied so the picture is useless, funny fonts don't photo copy well, colours go grey and are a pain to read, and more than one page and your gone anyway.

My opinion is

Instead of sending out 100's of ****e CV's. Sit down and research who you are applying to what sort of operation they run. Who owns it. Who is the CP, ops director etc. What planes they fly. Start a file on each one and keep a record of when you applied to them and any PFO's you get and most importantly what you have already sent them. Then if you decided to try them again after improving yourself reference your previous attempt and highlight what you have done to improve yourself.

Write a CV and covering letter which is taylored to each company. TP operators don't want to see or hear you saying how great you are in a Jet sim on your MCC.

If you do it properly you will be lucky to get 2-3 good CV's plus covering letters out a month or application forms.

As an aside I have met several wannabies recently who were single figures in CV's sent out before getting a job, all of them modular. All had something different about them to the standard wannabie eg ex policemen, ex forces (ground types), VSO, TA officers, firemen or self employed running their own business. Another common factor was the fact that none of them had taken out huge loans ie more than 5k to complete thier training. Which to be honest I was suprised at. This profiling of CV's obviously does work and there are somethings which everyone is looking for.