PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spam Again
Thread: Spam Again
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2006, 21:12
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, Spamcop. I've tweaked the settings and the specific lists I use, and particularly SpamAssassin, and I get the performance mentioned above.

You may be misinterpreting what Spamcop do. Yes,they produce a blacklist which some ISPs use, incorrectly, to block e-mail. That's not Spamcop's mistake. Spamcop also offer a mail filtering service, which is what I use and am delighted with.

Some major ISPs have ended up on Spamcop blacklists - but precisely because customers of theirs had been spamming to the extent that they hit the trigger level. I forget what the trigger is, but it's not going to happen with one or two spams from a misguided customer.

I came close to suing a well-known UK (now defunct) ISP a few years ago, because I was getting thousands of "return" messages to one of my e-mail addresses, which were spam sent by a youknowwho.co.uk customer. I was on dial-up in those days, and it was costing me a LOT of money to download all this stuff.

Spamcop's only flaw is that once an ISP is blacklisted, any spam reported is blamed on that ISP even if it only passed via their system. So if my ISP gets blacklisted, every spam I report is my ISP's fault. They are well aware of the problems this causes, and I've screamed at Spamcop quite a few times about it. Nevertheless, I'd rather put up with that than the barrage of spam I'd otherwise get.