PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Victoria International Airlines - Uganda
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2006, 20:29
ugflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The problem was housekeeping on the side of VIA. You don't just show up at a foreign airport one morning unannounced! They forgot to file their flight schedule with the Kenyan authorities (KCAA)."

The above is an excerpt from spydee's post.

You can call me naive, but I am sure no one in their right mind would take off in a Cessna 172 and intentionally fly into IMC without an IFR flight plan filed before hand. Let alone an airline oprating heavy metal take off on it's inaugural flight without acquiring arrival slots at it's destination. So when you say that VIA did not file their flight schedule, I can tell you that is bollocks. It is like someone showing up one morning to the operating room to have heart surgery without prior appointment and pre-surgical care.

Just so you all know, the KCAA is frustrating Ethiopian Airlines' efforts to operate the EBB-NBO route as well. And not to mention what the now defunct East African Airlines went through with the same authorities. Truth be told that EBB-NBO is a very lucrative route and unfortunately, it is underserved. So the current players are very protective and reluctant to share the pie.

On another note, an all AIRBUS 320 startup is looming in the horizon and the base is supposed to be EBB.