PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATO annouces its intent to buy Boeing C-17s
Old 5th Dec 2006, 20:01
MarkD

Rebel PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minorite - there was a change of govt in your timeline. When Goodale was Min of Fin he wasn't going to pay for 130s AND 17s so Hillier had to pick one and not complain.

The Tories come in and say "if you want both, you can have them. Our best buds in Oz, John Howard, who got his bid in first will give you C-17 slots to get them to you quicker." Why wouldn't Hillier change his mind, especially when without the Australian agreement the C-17s wouldn't probably have met the time specified in the requirements as the A400M didn't?

Canada is not a junta - CDSs have taken it in the neck from the civilians for as long as there have been State armies and I'm sure the current CDS knew that when the Libs offered the job. That means taking what you're given and keeping your mouth shut until retirement when you can write a book and be a hired gun for CBC Newsworld.

As for what CDS meant by guaranteed and whether SALIS provided this I would suggest you enquire of Gen Hillier rather than inferring. I don't know what he meant either but in a military context I would contend guaranteed is only a word you can use when you own, not when a contractor can renege.