PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OK Guys... educate me... C172 Fuel Problem
Old 5th Dec 2006, 11:42
Ratshit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speed2height

A couple of golden rules for operating in the GA world of us low lifes!

1) Always know how much fuel you're starting out with - ie full tanks, known fuel burn, or calibrated dip stick.

2) Know how to operate the aircraft to achieve a particular fuel burn - and do so.

3) Always keep a fuel log.

4) Monitor the fuel guages with a moderated measure of scepticism.

5) If in doubt LAND THE BLOODY THING - before the fan stops.

This has kept me safe for 35 yrs - although there have been two incidents - both involving Cessnas.

1) Took off in a Hawk XP that I had never flown before with full tanks and adequate fuel for the journey. By about 3/4 distance along the route, the fuel guages were both on about 1/4. Decided to divert for fuel. Lowered the nose to decend from A100 - and the guages headed for empty. Started thinking about all the stories I have read in "Crash Comics" about people who ignored empty guages and flew on until the donk stopped and they crashed in tiger country just short of their destination. So I landed on a road, dipped the tanks and determined that I did actually have sufficient fuel, then took off and continued to my destination uneventfully, with the guages sitting well below 1/4. On refuelling the tanks took the expected amount of fuel.

2) Took over a C402 from the CP for a charter - out and back without refuelling . The CP told me the fuel on board - which was sufficient for the flight, with comfortable reserves (I had enough time in the aircraft to know that I could consistently achieve the required fuel burn) - no calibrated dip stick was available to confirm the fuel on board - but the guages looked about right. By TOD I was concerned that there was insufficient fuel on board to complete the return flight. Rang the CP on landing to discuss the issue - he was adament that there was sufficient fuel on board. So I took off and climbed out on the mains then in cruise changed one side on to the aux tank which the CP was confident I could get 30 min from. After 10 min, the engine surged - and scared the crap out of my pax. I changed back to the main and diverted and topped up the tanks. Probably would have made my destination but I would have been into my fixed reserves. CP and I argued for along time about what actually happened here. CP - "You dopey prick - you can't have leaned it properly!". RAT - "The bloody thing never had the fuel on board you stupid bastard!"

R

Last edited by Ratshit; 5th Dec 2006 at 11:49. Reason: spelling mistook!