PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1Time Pilot Losses
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2006, 10:36
FFFrentit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Mr O & Co.

I'd say 1Time is clearly in financial poo-poo. Selling shares and listing on the JSE are definite signs of cash flow problems. It's no secret that they've had a rather "limited" bank balance from day one. And now that there's new pressure from another player in the market, I'm sure 1Time's management are starting to feel the strain .

1Time got off to a very good start mainly because the crew were all fresh and motivated, the first chief pilot was extremely dynamic, the market was ready for a change and they had access to cheap aircraft and type rated crew.

Being the front line to the public, cabin crew are instrumental in convincing passengers to come back a second time. Cockpit crew have a great influence on operating costs, eg fuel burns, brake usage, etc. Both the cockpit and cabin crew put a major effort into getting the airline going - as did everybody else that was involved - and were prepared to go the extra mile for the company, by working long hours, getting little time off, etc. However, as time rolled on and management got a little more comfortable with their environment, a very clear disregard for those who drive their operation forward became apparent.

How can you treat people who have such a huge influence on your airline so badly Mr O and Co? Maybe worrying too much about your own personal wealth and not the welfare of those that you employ? Or maybe you just forgot about them in the mad dash to those wonderful pub lunches!

There has long been an attitude of "shake a tree and more will drop out" when it comes to crew retention at 1Time. Well, those days have gone - the guys and girls are voting with their feet and 1Time is struggling to get experienced people to replace them. Mr O you are not dealing with a bunch of 19 year call center staff, who are only filling a gap year with your company - you are dealing with adult, professional people who have made aviation their career! You can not expect them to put up with your bad attitude and poor working conditions and expect loyalty from them.

Don't think that the bonus (only a few years late!) will convince your crew to stay. They'll happily take the money, but still keep looking for a better job. It's too late to convince your "old" crew that you actually do mean well, Mr O (after all, leopards never change their spots!), but it might be an idea to start treating them humanely and some of the "new" guys might be prepared to stay on and make things work for you. Start off by changing your mentality and that of your managers from "dealing with a bunch of bus drivers" to "these are professional people that we need to motivate and get the best from". Professional respect might be a good concept to embrace!

Oh yes! Nearly forgot - serviceable aircraft, proper training, competant / qualified managers, decent crew meals, stable rosters, a weekend off now and then, the promised 75 hours a month, the promised profit share / bonus, market related salary increases, decent rebate policy, realistic leave policy and correct crewing levels might help as well.

Mr O, I have no doubt that if 1Time goes under, you and your cronies upstairs will land on your feet and probably pop up again somewhere. It's for the sake of your crew - my mates - that I hope you keep the company going and turn it into the successful airline it once was that everyone wanted to work for.