PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety, incidents, etc
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2006, 10:16
verticalhold

The Veloceraptor of Lounge Lizards

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Came back to this thread after a very recent experience which has caused me a great deal of concern and I would value cc opinions on it. I'm sure that what I experienced was very illegal, but I can't find a reference.

Positioning on a low cost no seat allocated flight. Checked in first so got the best boarding card there is for this firm. When I got on the aircraft I was comfortably esconced in row 1 right by the front door, stacks of leg room, window seat, good book, someone else doing the driving and pretty ladies to sell me coffee, bliss.

The care bears were loading a carry on pax. The lady concerned had a compound fracture of the left femur and was in plaster. Myself and the two other blokes in row one were asked to move so that the lady, her daughter and grand daughter could be put in row one.

What worried me was that the seat fit in this particular aircraft meant that the broken leg extended to part way across the forward door, and that although there were crew positioned there the child was an infant and would be incapable of operating the door.

I seem to remember from a very long time ago that class 1 emergency exits must not be blocked and should also only be occupied by able bodied pax. Can anyone confirm this for me. I have written expressing deep concern to the airline concerned but have not yet had a reply (actually from past experience with them I hold out no hope) The lady with the broken leg was in a great deal of discomfort and unfortunatley due to her size and injury found moving without assistance very difficult. Advice/flaming/ criticism gladly recieved.

VH