PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe to acquire BA Connect (Crew thread - no spotters)
Old 5th Dec 2006, 06:49
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marlowe

Remoak what is so wrong with T&Cs that benefit the company and the workforce?
Absolutely nothing, and I would be the first to welcome them - having served under the rather dismal flybe conditions for a few years. But they still won't happen, for reasons that should be obvious.

do you have to tug your forelock and bow every time jimbo makes an appearance!!! Or do you just have to kiss his ring!!
Actually, quite the reverse. I had more than one confrontation with JF in my time at flybe, and the man was unfailingly courteous, attentive and reasonable. He responded to every email I sent him, even the slightly angrier ones, and went a long way to try and solve the problems I was highlighting. He always appreciated my input, even when it was probably less than expert! So I rate him very highly (which is more than you could say for his middle management at the time - always a weakness at flybe).

For this to all work then both sides have to except change not just the BACON workforce but yes FLYBE as well.
Why?

There is absolutely no reason why flybe should change at all, certainly not for the reasons being postulated by BACON employees. They may choose to implement some operational changes, but they are under absolutely no obligation to do so. The idea that flybe should change is just part of the myth that BACON crews have any power at all in whatever "negotiations" occur.

he was quite happy to smell the 106million and think about how he could move the new FLYBE/BACON forward with the money pity his pilots dont have that vision.
Sure. He was (and is) primarily concerned with how he can maximize the return to flybe, and he has no concern at all for what was the BACON setup. He is being offered a failed (by its management) airline, and he will only take the bits that he wants (such as whatever crews want to join, and a lack of competition on some routes), and ditch the rest (like all the airframes, the management structure, etc). I'm quite sure that if the BACON crews become a problem, he will ditch them too.

In the same way, it is highly likely that he will look after his own crews first. Flybe, like the other locos, can always find pilots. How many BACON pilots will come knocking if they are all made redundant? Quite a few, I should think. In fact, that would be easier all round, straight to the bottom of the seniority list and the same pay as everyone else.

Some of you BACON guys are living in la-la land if you think you have any power here. Accept the job offer, suck it in and try and forget the past. You were screwed (probably not for the last time).

If I were still in flybe, I would be vigorously campaigning to have all the BACON crews put on the bottom of the list. Nothing personal, but I don't see why my future should be messed up by a bunch of refugees from a failed airline. I'm sure the majority of flybe crews share that view.

Rhythm Method

You ought to be trying to move out of the dark ages, and this merger gives a perfect opportunity to do so.
The sooner you get it into your head that this ISN'T A MERGER, the sooner you will understand what is about to happen to you...

It's not personal. It's business. (Donald Trump)