PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2006, 21:57
kookabat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day Mr Dingbat,
Certainly did - MWY all the way!! We were sitting at Curtis waiting for either that IFR 'back-up plan' to arrive or the weather to lift and neither happened (was intending to take Cherokee LJL to Temora) so I figured, there's an instructor - there's an aeroplane - why not!

Quick thoughts from an hour in the circuit in a Citabria:
-Power to weight is much higher than the Cherokee... this thing can scream along if you want it to - and it's very easy to let it creep a couple of hundred feet high without realising...
-Following numerous 172s and Jabirus, that are flying ridiculously large circuits, around is easy if you slow her riiiiiiight down.... 50kt on downwwind, anyone??
-Roll is particularly heavy but you're right about the control responsiveness, the 'dead spot' you get in the middle of a Cherokee's controls is not there!!
-Rudder!! Rudder!! Rudder!!! KEEP IT STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It'll take a bit of getting used to for a dyed-in-the-wool Cherokee driver like myself.
-Doing everything with 'the wrong hand' will also take some getting used to I think.

All in all though, awesome fun and yep, I'll be back for some more once I have a few dollars to spare.

Kookabat