PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in South Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2006, 11:18
joyrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starlite Helicopters, formerly Chopper Flying Services are one of three helicopter companies based at Virginia Airport, Durban North. They do a lot of training - last I heard they were training the South African Police pilots, as well as for foreign military pilots. Used to have the Netstar contract but lost it to NAC recently. Used to have the beach rescue contract too but I believe they have lost that too - any confirmation? They do charter too and also operate a few Pumas overseas, in the Sudan and Indonesia. Used to operate in Spain too - is that still going?

Anyway, yes they are a large company. But enough of the facts - now for the gossip

Not as big as they used to be. Lost a couple of key employees recently and then lost a couple of contracts. Some aircraft owners have withdrawn their machines in acrimonious circumstances. Their training side is rumoured to be more focussed on the big money earners (Police & military contracts) than on single individuals who get second class treatment.

Or so I've heard.