PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 3
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 3
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2006, 18:58
AMM626

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CO reduction

I think we're seeing the effects of years of under investment in BHX now. BHX are charging a premium price (4th in the WORLD was it?) for a substandard product. The international pier is just horrendous, and when business pax are paying alot of money to fly with you, those grotty little lounges must put airlines right off.
Then there's the old runway extension (how long has it dragged on for?), it's obvious that yields reduce outside the capital and freight is probably the main way to compensate for this.

Also CO at BHX has usually been more expensive than MAN or London, I would guess the reason is to recuperate the charges levied.

A recent comment from BHX management entitled 'BHX a significant alternative to Heathrow'

'At the moment, 56 percent of people that are from [the airport's] catchment area use other airports - Gatwick, Heathrow, Manchester - because we do not have the route network.'
Morris said that more long-haul routes are on the cards for the airport. Plans for a runway expansion would permit 'direct flights to China, south-east Asia and the western USA'. He added: 'There is no need for an obsession with Heathrow when many of its users come from more than 100 miles away.'

but how can they expect to get the route network without investment in the infrastructure?

I think BHX is in a catch 22 situation, it needs the money from the airlines to make a major investment, but without major investment it's doubtful many airlines would be interested unless the price was right. Something has to give sooner or later because if BHX aren't prepared to offer what they want, others will. Who'd have thought a few years ago that EMA's long haul IT network would equal, probably even surpass BHX's?

Given that the management seemingly will settle for less paying more than more paying less I can see it getting worse before it gets better.