PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sqdn Ldr Ray Hanna AFC*
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2006, 12:36
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 saw the start of a new career in civil aviation - initially flying a Boeing 707 for several months with Lloyd International. Two of his crew from those days have come today to pay their respects.
After seven years as a Captain with Cathay Pacific, Ray became Chief Pilot of a diplomatic organisation with world-wide operations, where he remained until retirement.

Tributes from pilots all over the world who remember Ray from different stages of his long and varied flying career flowed in to ‘PPRuNe’, the professional pilots’ website, from the moment Ray’s death was announced.
A pilot who was a First Officer at Cathay Pacific when Ray was a Captain wrote “He flew airliners with the same finesse and professionalism as he flew jet fighters.
Another wrote “I was always pleased when the roster showed Ray was captain – I knew it would be fun.”
It seems that everyone who ever met Ray not only had enormous respect for his exceptional flying ability, but liked him and respected him as a man.

Ray’s Red Arrows years were only the beginning of his enormous contribution to British display flying. For three more decades, he commanded universal respect in the civilian airshow world, not only in this country but internationally.

In 1970, he was invited by Sir Adrian Swire, who read the Lesson, to display MH434 - the famous Mk IX Spitfire which Ray later acquired. It was the beginning of a long relationship between man and machine which will remain for ever in the memories of Ray’s myriad admirers.

Ray was an outstandingly talented pilot who never showed off his own ability; he always showed off the capabilities of which ever aircraft he displayed.
Alex Henshaw MBE, Chief Production Test Pilot at Supermarine’s largest wartime Spitfire factory, who’s here today, told me only a few weeks ago: “Of all the displays I’ve seen since the war, and I’ve seen many, no other pilot had Ray’s ability to demonstrate precisely what the Spitfire was designed to do.”
In 1976, Ray taught Mark to fly, aged 16. Father and son enjoyed a mutual, and entirely justified, respect and pride. Ray’s obvious delight when Mark earned his Wings is still vividly remembered by those rehearsing for the graduation parade. They were treated to a spectacular demonstration of flying skill:
The distinctive sound of a Merlin engine was quickly followed by a Spitfire appearing at an impressive angle of bank from around a hangar, and ‘slaloming’ at speed through the dispersal floodlight pylons - before making an extremely low pass in front of the hangars.
Unthinkable these days, sadly, but it was executed with Ray’s characteristic precision and safety – away from public view – and those watching were thrilled.
Their enjoyment of the occasion was complete when Ray got out of the cockpit wearing a smart shirt, tie and waistcoat, unfolded his suit jacket and walked off to the Officers Mess a picture of sartorial elegance.
All pilots were assembled the next morning to be warned by the OC(Ops), in no uncertain terms, that they were not to attempt to emulate Squadron Leader Hanna in their Jet Provosts!
In 1981, Ray formed the Old Flying Machine Company with Mark - by then a Phantom pilot - restoring and operating WWII warbirds at Duxford. Mark was already an experienced and exceptionally talented display pilot and the OFMC became so busy that Mark later resigned from the RAF to run the company full time.
In later years they were joined by Sarah. Someone had to actually run the company – her father and brother were far more interested in flying.

Their stunning performances on the international display circuit led to their being in regular demand by film-makers. Breathtaking flying sequences in Empire of the Sun (1987) and Memphis Belle (1989) led to numerous film credits, and to Stephen Spielberg insisting their services be engaged for his film Saving Private Ryan (1998).

Mark’s tragic death in 1999, in a landing accident which Ray witnessed, was a devastating blow. The public courage and fortitude with which he coped with his private pain, and gradually returned to his flying form to continue the project they began, earned him widespread admiration.

Ray was a gentleman; impeccably courteous, of absolute integrity and unfailingly loyal to his friends.
His dry sense of humour occasionally caught out even those who knew him well.
Did he really mean that? Then, with perfect timing, his twinkling eyes and half smile revealed – of course he didn’t.
He wasn’t afraid to stand his ground when necessary and, although never impolite, wasn’t afraid to be blunt when occasion demanded - the latter often not unrelated to his profound dislike of bureaucracy!

Famously approachable, Ray remained totally unaffected by the immense esteem in which he was held.
Although intolerant of all but the highest standards, he was a kind man who willingly gave his time to advise the less experienced and encourage aspiring pilots achieve their ambition.
Countless pilots who never actually met him were inspired to fly by seeing his displays as youngsters.
Ray was modest to a fault, never entirely comfortable about accepting compliments:
He was typically modest when interviewed about his outstanding leadership of the Arrows: “There are only three basic manoeuvres; the rest are just variations.”
Anyone would think it was just by chance that, under his leadership, the team achieved acclaim as the best formation display team in the world and became the public face of the RAF.
Asked in a television documentary to comment upon his magnificent Spitfire displays: “Well, I don’t know, the displays I do now are basically the same as I did in the 1970s.”
Odd then how any display pilot, and many spectators, could tell if it was Ray displaying a Spitfire.
And in the same interview, asked to describe a most impressive sequence while filming for the television series ‘Piece of Cake’ in which Ray flew the Spitfire along a river and under a bridge: “Well, we had to check the clearances, horizontal and vertical, and remove a few boughs from some trees overhanging the river but, apart from that, nothing particularly remarkable.”
No, Ray, nothing remarkable at all. Anyone could have done it.
We’re going to miss Ray and so, in a different way, will many who never met him. Ray touched the lives of literally millions of people – because his outstanding talent gave so much pleasure to so many over some 40 years.
Ray was 77, although he didn’t look it – and wouldn’t thank me for reminding you – but I doubt if it ever occurred to any one of us that Ray wouldn’t be around for years yet.

He went too soon, but what a wonderful legacy he’s left us, both in things we can only see in our memories and things we can actually see around us:
Ray will be remembered by everyone as one of the best display pilots the world has seen and, by most, as the best - ‘The Master’
He’ll be remembered as the man who led the Red Arrows to new heights of excellence, and firmly established them on the world stage as the premier formation display team.
He’ll be remembered for those wonderful displays in his Spitfire which enthralled air show crowds for more than three decades.
We’ll remember his ability to fly exceptionally low with safety and precision which invariably evoked rapturous applause during air shows.
And how, a few hours later, as the show drew to a close, the same spectators would watch in total silence, with tears in many an eye, as Ray in his Spitfire performed the most graceful aerial ballet against the setting sun.
Those are memories, but …..
We’ll actually be able see the legacy Ray’s left every time we enjoy the Arrows display. Today’s displays still conform to the template Ray developed, and subsequent leaders freely admit that the premier position the team still holds is largely due to the solid foundation he laid 40 years ago.
We’ll be able to see his legacy in the countless pilots who were inspired to embark upon their careers by watching him fly.
The skill and absolute professionalism with which he approached his flying was the target for which other pilots aimed. He never pushed himself to the front but, when Ray spoke, other pilots listened; when he flew, other pilots watched. And they learned. Ray has gone, but the standard he set remains the standard which other display pilots will continue to strive to achieve.
For many years to come, however good a talented display pilot is considered to be, the question will always be – ‘Yes, but is he as good as Ray Hanna?’
During his life, the answer was always ‘No.’
Ray ended what turned out to be his last season in the position he ended his first, 40 years ago – at the very top.
No mean feat, to remain at the peak of a young man’s pursuit while still display flying at the age of 77.

What has brought hundreds of us here today?

As I look around the Church, I see Lords of the Land, Knights of the Realm, former and serving RAF officers of all ranks up to Air Chief Marshal, current and former Red Arrows pilots and ground-crew, the Shadow Minister for Defence, the New Zealand Air Attaché and representatives of other governments, representatives of the Royal Aeronautical Society, past Masters and the Master-Elect of the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators, eminent pilots from military and civil aviation.

Who would have thought that, one day, so many distinguished people - and hundreds of people like myself, just ordinary aviators - would gather to pay their respects and to give thanks to God for the life of that youngster who looked longingly through the fence at Auckland airport and dreamed of being a pilot.

But he was no ordinary youngster – he was Ray Hanna.

I apologise sincerely for not posting the tributes sooner, having promised many Ppruners that I'd do so.
I hope the timing - while people are looking at this thread again on the first anniversary of Ray's death - makes up a little for that.

Tudor Owen

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 3rd Dec 2006 at 15:21.