PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loans for funding flying training.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2006, 03:23
sicky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do see your point of view there and it does look like it may become my only option. I havn't given up hope that some businesses out there may be in the christmas spirit and i can only but ask.

Without sparking the perrenial debate, i do have a few issues with modular. I have a friend who is a pilot for a bizjet sort of firm, and he agrees that now is the right time, i'm at the right age, and that Jerez is an excellent school. (He knows a few of the teachers and flies into there a lot).

I fell in love with jerez while i was there, but if it is not possible, then unfortunately it is not possible. My reservations about modular are, that i do not have a degree (don't go into that debate either please!! haha), i left university to do this, i have 3 a levels but all C grades, i have no sort of..supervisory experience apart from when i have captained teams and the very little football coaching that i do.

I just have a great worry that modular would leave me jobless. I like the idea of going full time integrated, concentrating only on the flying and where you're character is monitored aswell - ie the airlines may trust it more. Again, let's not go too much into that.

I will need to sort myself out with a good enough job to manage it, but i still do not have my PPL, and the nearest school to where i live that do FATPL is in Leeds.

On the up side, i have a few good friends who have been nothing less than amazing in offering advice and support and they're looking out all the time for a job that could help me out. One of those friends told me i could get in over £1200/month working in the Orange call centre, not down the right lines really but the money would allow me to do my PPl up here while i work there.

Other positives i suppose are that having gone to uni in Leeds, i know people there, and a friend of mine has a house there towards the airport, with a spare room. Ideal if it comes to this.

I'm sure there are more negatives and positives and if people don't mind i'll add them as they come to me - i've rambled on and it's getting late (just got in from my bar job).

I'd just like to add my view that it is a joke that the pro studies loans will not cover flying training. With the cost of the training, and the lack of real sponsorship...pilots are being driven towards modular, like in my case. I am struggling to find a good reason why being from a broken family with 1 retired parent and another redundant parent breaking into property development should prevent me following my dream career.

Just to finish - I've always liked the idea of the RAF or Army and have thought if there is no way i can do this, then i'd join probably the RAF, try as a pilot. I know they have flying clubs where you can learn to fly, too, so if i did have to lay it to rest for a bit, i suppose it's another option. Then again i'd have to be fully committed to join the forces.

Frustrating! Thanks for the responses so far!