PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe to acquire BA Connect (Crew thread - no spotters)
Old 2nd Dec 2006, 23:44
100above

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason JF is so keen to acquire BACon is because we are not in as bad a shape as some people on here make out. We have some great routes, slots, passenger base (and e-mail database) and most importantly crews to fly them. Our yield per ticket is in fact very similar to flybe, but we havent made nearly enough use of internet sales and associated ancillary revenue and yes, our cost base is too high, but that is not in the main down to our Ts and Cs. Some of them I admit are on the generous side, but the majority (such as the right to refuse a last minute change) are relatively minimal cost to the company, but a huge plus to those of us who care about family commitments. Why anyone would not want to improve their quality of life while reducing pilot turnover, subsequent roster changes and training costs as crews move elsewhere I will never understand. Little Prince, most of us stayed here not because we cant get a job elsewhere, but because we liked it. For 8 years I have been paid a reasonable wage on time each month, flown well maintained aircraft, been treated fairly and worked with some great people - not exacty compelling reasons to move on are they. Can we also dispel the myth that our fleet is some gas guzzling economic disaster area. No, they are not the fleet of choice for a lo-co (not that flybe is a true lo-co), but sitting at FL370 the other day sipping 980kg per hour at 450kts, I couldnt help thinking it a pity that the Embraers are being pensioned off early. Still, I have to admit the Q400 does seem to have the economic advantage - just a shame the barbie doesn't have another 29 seats ! All at BACon is not as bad as it seems and once the dust settles, flybe will be a bigger and better company as a result.

Last edited by 100above; 3rd Dec 2006 at 00:47.