PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy
Thread: Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2006, 18:32
paul 2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prove

One problem seems to be that if a person has a fit of some kind, they seem to be automatically deemed to be epileptic pending further investigation. Even if scans show nothing untoward the same seems to be the case - 'we don't know the cause so we'll call it epilepsy and hope for the best. Take a couple of tablets a day, no driving for a year to prove we are controlling the matter and as for flying, forget it'.
That's what I thought - wondered if there is anyway of proving that it was /was not epileptic, after all the doctors could not induce an epileptic episode in tests when trying to diagnose the problem.
For that matter, does anyone know if an electric shock can trigger a fit ?

One of the aviation medical companies I spoke about in my opening post claims the following:

Nuerology
Condition / Pathology ...................................................1st ...2nd... 3rd
TIA / Stroke ............................................................ ..........195 .. 250 ..747
MS ? Chronic Brain Syndrome, Degen. Nerve Disease ............. 32 ... 34 .... 81
Parkinson's Disease ............................................................ ..16 ....20 .....65
Seizures ............................................................ ..................46 ....50 ...159
Narcolepsy ............................................................ .................2 .....3 .....14
Migraine ............................................................ .................488 ..821 .2424

being number of cases successfully handled with the FAA, in each medical class.
Does anyone know of anyone that has had epilepsy and been able to continue to fly ?

Thanks