PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IOT salary
Thread: IOT salary
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2006, 16:21
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchett01
IIf they want to attract high quality graduates to join up, they have to renumerate them accordingly otherwise they'll all go to the private sector.

I'm just wondering who these 'high quality graduates' are and where we employ them? I also wonder what the difference is between a 'high quality' one and the rest. Seems the line was 'graduate' and Underwarer Basketweaving was as valid as Physics in the majority of cases

Thought someone might say that and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure these days! If I had anything to say about it, I would probably class 'high quality' as 2.1 upwards in one of the more traditional / rigorous subjects. But I suppose it's all reletive really - would you rather have someone with a 1st in English from Aberystwth or a 3rd in Mech Eng from Cambridge?

And whilst I do take your point about the differences between a Physics degree and an Underwater Basket Weaving course, as long as students have used their uni time productively, have learnt to think critically for themselves and picked up bit of life experience so they aren't completely wet behind the ears when they pitch up on day 1 then I wouldn't complain too much.