PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Meltdown - Has it begun?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2006, 13:38
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by The Helpful Stacker
A very young SAC MT driver at a certain North Hampshire helicopter unit was recently charged for turning up at a uniform check parade late, even though the lad in question turned up at the time proclaimed by the many posters around the section, of which he managed to get a copy. A word-of-mouth change to times had been made but unfortunately the chap was away at the time.

The hearing officer advised him before the charge was read not to bother fighting it as it would just make things worse, surly not the correct procedure for such things?
Well of course you are right HS, and every NCO and Officer in the Chain of Command above this young man's very lowly level has a duty, I repeat, has a duty to ensure that such summary proceedings are conducted correctly. If he develops a sense of gross injustice at the very start of his service he will carry a chip on his shoulder throughout his career. I rather suspect that this story is only too typical and accounts for much of the attitude abounding on Goat etc. So those concerned and aware of this incident should start the ball rolling. Summary justice, no matter how trivial, is subject to review by a superior officer. Go to that superior officer and express your concerns. Suggest that the evidence that would have "made things worse", should now be taken into account. It might then be possible to quash the Charge and have it removed from his record. If not it is always open to the airman himself to put in for a redress of grievance, that would be his decision. All too much bother, making mountains out of molehills? The trouble is that all the molehills are now heaped on each other into a gigantic mountain threatening to become the biggest landslide ever. My advice is for anyone concerned to get a shovel and start digging now!

Last edited by Chugalug2; 2nd Dec 2006 at 15:09.