PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question: Behaviour of Laminar Flow Wings
Old 1st Dec 2006, 12:44
training wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen and Ladies,
Well, my instructor did give me a briefing on the laminar flow wing when we were discussing stalls. Being the diligent student pilot that I am, I actually wrote down his briefing notes!! Here's some of it on the laminar flow wing;

0. Laminar flow aerofoils are designed for better aerodynamic efficiency at faster speeds.

1. Laminar flow aerofoil is symmetrical so that the thickest part of the wing (max camber) is in the middle part of the aerofoil. (Conventional wings have the max camber closer to the leading edge).

2. Since max camber is further down the aerofoil (halfway down the chordline) compared with a conventional aerofoil, the transition point and separation point is further along the aerofoil as well.

3. As a result, smooth laminar flow occurs over a greater surface area of the aerofoil compared with a conventional aerofoil and therefore producing less drag.

4. Thus there is less turbulent wake (ie drag) over the surfaces of a laminar flow wing compared with a conventional wing.

5. Therefore laminar flow wings are better suited for high speeds due to less form drag being produced compared with conventional aerofoils.

6. The problem is that laminar flow wings are designed to be optimal at high speeds, so when in low speed flight, the aerodynamics sucks.

7. At or near the stall, the transition point moves forward along the aerofoil quicker than a conventional wing so laminar aerofoil flies like a brick at low speeds due to more turbulent wake over the aerofoil surfaces.

Ok, well, that's all I have so I guess I can understand what Mr Solarfish in on about (or at least his instructor) in wanting to come into land faster than usual.

Suffice to say that I didn't fly much in laminar flow wing aircraft. Give me a C-152-172 any day, mate,