PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour building (USA)
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2006, 12:19
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida

I went to Kissimmee in Florida and did 40 hours in March this year - to be honest, I wish I had went to the likes of California as the Florida landscape is the most featureless that I have ever come across, and unless you have a passion for lakes, swamps and the odd giant television transmitter, 2 weeks flying can bring a little boredom with it. However there were a few good trips.

I definetely advise flying down to Key West International in the Florida Keys and staying overnight. Great night life down there, especially when I went as it was Spring Break!! Only thing, make sure you don't go near the military field to the north of the airport - you won't get a good reception! I flew down via Miami and spent the afternoon there, however all the executive airfields are in the suburbs and a taxi ride into town isn't cheap!!

Daytona International on the east coast was another good place. It is right beside the Nas Car track where 'Days of Thunder' was filmed (I feel a Tom Cruise theme is running in this thread) and Daytona beach is well worth checking out!

Try Clearwater airfield. It is stuck right bang in the middle of the Tampa suburbs and you can get an interesting SVFR clearance through the Tampa Intl overhead. Fly out along Tampa beach and check out Lakeland Regional on the way back towards Orlando. Great Ice Cream Sundays at the restaurant!

The only other place I think worth mentioning is Merrit Island. Not an exciting field by any stretch of the imagination, but as it sits just below the airspace surrounding Cape Canaveral, some interesting sights can be seen from 2000 feet.

Enjoy