PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question: Behaviour of Laminar Flow Wings
Old 1st Dec 2006, 08:19
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
I must be showing my complete naivety and inexperience.

Tinpis, the instructor who endorsed me would have agreed with your views. It's an aeroplane - fly it. Yes, I can do that, exactly as according to the POH. I think you might like to reconsider your comment re "kiddy car" aeroplanes.

Ratty, of course if you need power you are going to firewall the throttle, my point is that it is disconcerting to your ever trusting passengers to do it on final, let alone a go around, although I would never let my pax's sentiments ( Blond Art Teacher - enough said) get in the way of self preservation.

"Stable approach" yes - speed gradually coming back as you approach the threshold, arriving at V ref. or whatever. The Laminar flow wing has different drag characteristics - the drag builds up much faster than a C172 or Warrior. The point that has been made to me is that you should fly it fast and let the natural drag of the Laminar flow wing at lower speeds slow you up much later in the approach than with a Cessna or Warrior.

The point I am trying to understand, is what is the safest, cheapest and most elegant way to land this particular aircraft. There seem to be two schools of thought in this thread:

(a) Who gives a ****?

(b) Follow the POH exactly.

Translation: I can land anything - but what is the best way to do so? It isn't always in the POH. Bushy, I think has agreed with me.

I would also like to suggest that some of the woes of students are a result of the differing opinions of instructors and pilots around the country - as evidenced by comments on this thread.

The method I've been shown takes advantage of the quick drag build up as you slow to give a good landing and maintains enough energy in the aircraft to give a decent margin of safety. As I've said, doing this in a C172 or Warrior would see you float the length of the runway.