PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FA's have it easier nowadays?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2006, 21:45
Vince1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

I think the good old days are gone, well domestic wise anyway.
What with reduced rest periods dispensations given at the drop of the hat etc.
This is not meant to be rude, but with air travel so cheap now in Australia it is accessible to alot more people and I would have to say some pax are just plain rude or maybe ignorant. Some pax have no problem answering back to crew or questioning their position.
Will give you two examples.....
1. Couple of months back my A/C went US unfortunately the technical problem was discovered after the pax were boarded. As the pax disembarked the Capt stood with me (CM) helped farewell the pax and to help maintain a cabin presence (not just leaving it to the CC). A pax walked up to the Capt and informed him that she felt it was disgusting that we discovered the tech problem after the pax were boarded. This women was out of control. She raised her voice to myself and the capt. We asked her to leave the A/C and she continued to rant as she disembarked. I understood the pax frustration but to abuse the capt? Who do these people think they are?? This was a safety related problem, doesn't safety come first? Total lack of respect!!!!!
2. The other day myself and R1 were preparing to take the tech crew their drinks into the flight deck. I observed a male pax and a small child loitering around the fwd galley/toilet area. I politely asked the pax to return to his seat for a few mins. He looked at me as if I had asked him to sacrifice his child. I explained that I was contacting the flight deck and needed the fwd area clear. He then replied "Why, what for"? I then had to point out the I needed to enter the flight deck. He then replied "So". In the end I asked him again to move away. We waited a few mins after he sat down before I entered the flight deck. I observed him talking to his wife (I assume) and clearly having a whinge about me. After feeding the tech crew I signalled to the pax that it was fine for him to return to the fwd area and use the toilet. He threw his hands in the air and said no.
I just don't understand???? Do people not remember September 5 years ago??? As a CM and a CC member pre 9/11 I am very vigilant with flight deck safety and always insist on two crew in the fwd area when entering the flight deck. Eg, One CC call flight deck and the other waiting ready to enter etc.
I just don't understand some of our pax???
Based our day to day operations I believe we do have it a bit tougher.