PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Consultation on foreign aircraft
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2006, 20:04
Yankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mm_flynn
Sec. 61.3
Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.
(a) Pilot certificate. A person may not act as pilot in command or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of U.S. registry, unless that person--
(1) ...However, when the aircraft is operated within a foreign country, a current pilot license issued by the country in which the aircraft is operated may be used; and

So a UK licence holder can fly an N-reg in the UK, but not in other countries.
Quoting the above FAR I put the following question to the FAA Support Services on their web site on 1/2/2005. UK date.

“FAR 61.3.2 Indicates that a “N” reg aircraft can be flown in a foreign country if the pilot holds a current pilot's licence issued by the country in which the aircraft is flown. Does that pilot’s licence have to be an ICAO recognised licence or can it be a national licence issued by that country which covers the aircraft type being flow”

And received a reply.

“This is an autoresponse message. We have received your support request and will be responding soon”

Having not heard anything by June I responded again with.

“I am still awaiting a response to this question. Put simply.
i.e, If I fly a "N" reg. aircraft solely within UK airspace, on a National Licence licence issued by that country, to fly that aircraft type, does the FAA have any objections.”

To which their FAA (Expert), their quote not mine, replied.

“I am forwarding your question on to our international division. They will send me the answer and I will forwarded it on to you. You should receive the answer by early next week.”

A further follow up with them in Nov. resulted in a final closing response of.

“We recommend that you contact one of our Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO). These offices are staffed to assist with airmen certification, aircraft operations, airworthiness issues, and enforcement and investigations.”

Which in other words meant we don’t want to be put on the spot here, lets elbow it somewhere to close this.

I can’t say that I’m surprised by their response but it was worth asking the question in case I got a positive reply. Being only too grateful to be able to still fly with a NPPL I didn’t want to rock the boat too much, but if someone really wanted to push this issue it would be interesting to see what the experts would say. At the end of the day the CAA say I am qualified to fly a certain type of aircraft under certain flying conditions in UK airspace and it would seem from the FAR’s that the FAA are happy for me to fly one of their same type “N” reg aircraft in the UK if I have a licence issued by that country, which I have, where’s the problem. Don’t tell me “I think I’ve already answered my own question”.

Yankee