PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus technology defects
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2006, 16:58
WAGM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
319 Beer Ad

Back to the general thread I hope.

Most of us have probably seen the bouncing 319 beer ad so there is no need to post it.

Whilst we could debate it's credibility, I'd suggest and have read it's caused by a dual radalt fault which results in a 'normal' out of range signal comming from the radalts antennas caused by possible water ingress.

Accepting this is possible, then the normal pitch law does not transition to flare law at 100 feet and reverse & spoilers are locked out until either sufficient ground speed or main gear time on ground is achieved. Likewise if the speed decays to Alpha floor, before the aircraft knows its on the ground, then Alpha Lock is activated and TOGA is commanded unless the Autothrust instinctive disconnect is held for 15 seconds prior to this occuring.

As an operator my company SoP's call "RadAlt Alive" at 2500, is this standard with other companies and is it generally recognized that should the Radalt indication not appear then it's a lot more significant than such a failure on the other Brand of A/C.

This could probably be in Technical but seems to follow this thread?

Recall an old story of an Ansett 320 doing "Auto" go-arounds possibly due to Alpha floor activation and we had a Foreign A330 Radalt incident about 5 years ago in Melbourne. Does anyone know of other instances?