PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epilepsy
Thread: Epilepsy
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2006, 16:32
beamer

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts
One problem seems to be that if a person has a fit of some kind, they seem to be automatically deemed to be epileptic pending further investigation. Even if scans show nothing untoward the same seems to be the case - 'we don't know the cause so we'll call it epilepsy and hope for the best. Take a couple of tablets a day, no driving for a year to prove we are controlling the matter and as for flying, forget it'.

A member of my family had a fit when he was about 17 - at the time he was down with flu and stressed about forthcoming examinations. About a year later he had another and hurt his back in the process (fell out of bed !). Scans showed nothing untoward but he was put on a very low level of medication and touch wood..............! Once on the medication its difficult to come off it because one does not know whether its doing any good or not - if you take the risk and another fit does occur its back to square one.

I guess life goes on - there are a great many people who suffer from this problem - I could quote an English Cricket Captain and a British Lions Prop Forward for a start - unfortunately some occupations will always preclude sufferers and flying falls into that category.

Good Luck