PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Aircraft grounded - Radioactive Scare
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2006, 13:44
ILS27LEFT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am now slightly (!) worried.

The substance found on the BA 767s has not been officially confirmed yet.
It is likely to be the Polonium 210.

Scientists and experts are reiterating that this substance is not harmful unless ingested.
Polonium-210 is only harmful if taken into the body.

Only if taken into the body? ...I am now very worried then:
this is a very crucial question as inhalation would have definitely happened in a contaminated cabin.
If Polonium-210 is present in the environment, it would need to enter people's bodies to give them a radiation dose, again through ingestion, inhalation or through wound entry. Inhalation is the scary one (in this BA case) because I think this would happen in any case in a contaminated aircraft Cabin. Am I wrong? I am not a radiation expert so I hope to be wrong.

Now I would really appreciate if the media would be more careful when reporting this type of news as hundreds of BA staff and thousands of passengers are now directly involved.

Is this just a forensic procedure (BA 767 planes grounded!) or the quantities of Polonium found on the BA aircrafts are sufficient to justify this "health warning" and then the MHZ should test all passengers and Crew involved as inhalation would have necessarily happened?

I would like an answer from the Authorities as I am directly involved.

I think they should clarify the quantities found (apparently it takes around 50 days for the Polonium to disappear at a 50% rate-50% every 50 days.) and establish the real "inhalation" risk as the aircraft Cabin is a very dangerous environment if contaminated.