PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 30th Nov 2006, 13:05
affluent boss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=Maltese Falcon;2958055]This assumption that affirmative action/positive discrimination is necessarily a bad thing has to be addressed. A quick look at the population of South Africa: 79.5% Black, 11.4% Asian and Coloured and 9.2% White. The flight deck crew of SAA meanwhile is at least 80% white. The reason for this grossly disproportionate representation of white people on the flight deck is not, as some posters seem to think, because black people lack the intelligence or the wherewithal to become airline pilots nor that white people have displayed greater determination and tenacity in attaining airline positions. No, the reason is the legacy of apartheid and 40 odd years of racist legislation that meant that black people were denied access to a decent education and hence jobs. Without intervention, this grossly disproportionate distribution of opportunity could continue for a number of generations. Affirmative action in SA is just a way of speeding up the process of restoring social justice.

While I support affirmative action in SAA, there are no justifiable reasons why these Non-White cadets should not be given a proper Pilots course leading to a proper CPL/IR and ATPL. This will ensure that their Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Capabilities are not suspect or in doubt. I am afraid that this may turn out to be another grand design (intentionally or otherwise) to patronise and justify the continued discrimination of our Black and Non-white collgues. I think the World has since moved on past this type of justificaton for covert and insipient denial of proper and equal education to Blacks, just to maintain a non level professional playing field. If the cadet system worked well for the White Pilots, then it should be used for the Black and Non-White Cadets. Period