PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First B777 scrapped
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2006, 10:09
BAe146s make me cry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm certain this his been asked before but here goes.

Every commercial aircraft is subject to a maintenance schedule (AMS).
This determines when it requires scheduled (light) line maintenance or (Heavy) Base maintenance. The AMS is subject to many factors.

I'm relatively confident that during its time with BA, it received regular attention at LHR and BAMC per manufacturer/operator requirements, based on a number of factors - eg: cycles, flying hours,
all Service Bulletins and Airworthiness Directives, Mods embodied etc.

Additionally, it may be due an extensive Base Maintenance check that the owner cannot guarantee a financial return on. So far, I've only raised
the 'known' quantities issue - ie: scheduled, what about unscheduled
maintenance or large structural repairs? Happens more often than you know!

To finish off, the a/c has been with a couple of operators since BA that may have had problems with either equipment, staff or finances (Varig) to keep an accurate record of its service history. Any lapse, recorded or otherwise obviously affects the a/c value. But, the fact it isn't 'ER' powered/equipped probably sealed its fate though.

Seems a waste but then again, Rotables will be removed, overhauled, tested and recertified per applicable Component Maintenance Manual, and re-used on other B777s for years to come. As for the airframe itself, you'll be seeing it soon in the guise of one or two 330ml aluminium Coke cans!

Regards

BAe 146???