PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Power on Stalls
Thread: Power on Stalls
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2006, 23:17
Airbus38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Airbus38
"...not all aircraft buffet significantly prior to the stall, not all aircraft have stall warners, and a stall warner may or may not work when needed."
That's what I said, and I stand by that. To clarify, when I say "stall warners" I mean, for example, an audible device, a stick shaker etc. to warn of the impending stall. In that respect, my statement is true. Not all aircraft have stall warners.

Not all aircraft do buffet noticeably before the stall has developed to a situation where the SSR must be employed rather than an incipient recovery. Also true.

My comment that the "stall warner" may or may not work when needed is just an aside. Yes, I would advocate checking the buzzer makes a sound pre-flight, and indeed do. If I was flying and noticed that my airspeed was low and attitude was higher than it ought to be, however, I would not think this OK just because I couldn't hear the buzzer, nor would I expect that anybody else would. It's a back-up, and my point is that its unserviceability should not (talking specifically of light primary trainers) mean the difference between a stall or not.

Maybe my previous paragraph is a matter of opinion, but please don't call me ridiculous for stating facts that I know to be true.

I agree with the rest of the things you say, however, you seem to have summed up the answer to the original question as I see it.

Last edited by Airbus38; 29th Nov 2006 at 23:28. Reason: ambiguity!