PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2006, 16:06
waterpau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Astigmatism

Hello NurseToPilot,

As you say, your right eye at -3.25 is the problem with the renewal limit being -3.00.

You might be aware that a new set of medical standards are about to be applied (1st or 4th Dec) which include new eyesight requirements on Class 1s. Dioptre limits for myopia have been extended, but for hyperopia they remained the same. Limits for astigmatism remained the same, -2.00 for initial issue and -3.00 for renewal. However, the wording has now been changed to allow the medical examiner to exercise discretion and allow a pilot with astigmatism of beyond 3.00 diopteres to be certified fit to fly commercially.

You mention a deviation on your class 2 that is removed when you get your PPL; the same thing happens with the Class 1 and a CPL. The deviation route to a full medical was an initiative argued by the CAA at the JAA medical sub-committee meetings to assist with harmonisation of medical standards across the EU.

There was some talk a few weeks ago about the CAA stopping medicals with deviations, but this may have been rumours. The CAA have said that they are not aware of any imminent changes that would affect their ability to issue deviations other than transition of licensing powers to EASA, which (I think) will not happen for at least 12 months yet.

Obviously I can't talk for the CAA, but you're specs prescription indicates that you're outside of the current limits for a deviation. It is difficult to measure astigmatism accurately (subjectively, anyhow) and so it may well be possible for you to get a specs prescription for your right eye which is -3. However, given that the new limits now allow some judgement on astigmatism at renewal, the CAA may be OK with 3.25.

Keep pushing with the CAA - I can understand how you might be feeling, but I persevered for 9 years from initally applying for a class 1 and actually getting one, all as a result of excess astigmatism. I spent most of my late teens and early twenties feeling disappointment that I would never be able to fly commercially, but I now have a chance. Don't give up. If the CAA say no, just remember that things can change.

Would be good to hear how you get on. Drop me a message if I can offer any other advice. Good luck

waterpau