PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford
Thread: Stapleford
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2006, 14:50
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duffy - As with all things in life it depends on whether you are comparing apples with apples or not. You need to compare what is and isn't included when checking with other schools prices. Here are the usual sort of gotchas:-

- landing & approach fees (both home and away)
- fuel surcharges
- positioning for exams (if not based at a CAA centre or if the CAA man/woman doesn't come to you)
- are the hours quoted in minimum - how much are the hourly rates if you go over
- are CAA test fees included
- are there any other costs for materials eg: IR plates and enroute charts etc.

I am guessing that if they are so cheap then you are probably doing the CPL on a single complex aircraft and not a multi and possibly the IR will have the minimum amount of time in the actual aircraft. Just be careful when comparing the costs of Stapleford to a school which may give you more multi hours or even where you do the CPL in a multi. The best way I found when comparing schools was to make up a spreadsheet and compare the itemised costs on an hourly basis to see if you are getting as much bang for your buck.

For me multi time was important as well as ensuring that the IR was less stressful so I opted to stay on the multi all the way through and make my life easier when test day came around.