PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinooks Kill Para in Afghanistan
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2006, 12:22
LookDownAndSmile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selective in your facts soddim???

I read the article you mention, and noted that in the final paragraph there was a specific comment from the MOD denying that any CH caused any landmines to go off. Something you clearly chose not to acknowledge.

From conversations I've had with people who do KNOW what they are talking about I am totally convinced that whilst the CH was there to assist in evacuating the wounded, it did not cause any further detonations.

If, indeed, the comments in the article from this particular Para were full and accurate quotes, and were quoted in context, not simply snippets extracted by the journalist for maximum impact, - somewhat doubtful given the average quality of reporting in the Mail - then given the extreme stress of the situation, and the terrible injuries these Paras had suffered, is it not entirely understandable that recollections of what actually occured may be coloured by pain and trauma, (perhaps even some fear), emotional and physical exhaustion, and could be somewhat skewed by the same?

I am in no way saying these Paras weren't incredibly brave and professional, because they were, and are - and I have nothing but admiration for them and those serving alongside them. Like many I mourn their lost, and have nothing but sympathy for those wounded who will continue to suffer as a result of their injuries for, in some cases, many years.

However, I have to also agree with the assessment of animo et fide and say that you do sound like a reporter skulking around for more sensationalism to feed the tabloids. That said, even if you are not, do you really think that your "touting for scandal" is going to help anyone, either over there or here, who is trying to make the best out of the whole situation and get our boys back safely? I think not!

Equally, if you try and justify your interest on the basis of trying to point out what went wrong, or what was required but not available, (allegedly a/c with hoists in this case) then don't you think there are a significant number of INFORMED PROFESSIONALS in the services who are perfectly capable of making this assessment themselves? I'm certain they don't need amateur armchair critics to assist them!!

I do hope that no-one here will pander to your obvious fishing for information and that if you have one decent bone in your body, you'd re-think your position and start supporting people instead of seeking to undermine morale and trust between the services.

..... a furious, but hopefully civil, LDaS .....