PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solentflight - Lee on Solent
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2006, 11:26
jdaley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cabin doors 2 manual
Perhaps if clear instructions/proper checkouts were performed by the school as to where it is safe to taxi this wouldn't happen.
sheesh - As a ppl who has hired from SF in the past and will do so again, my checkout there certainly briefed on the grass taxiway and the avoidance of the gate - & this was only a week or two prior to this specific incident.

Your message implies that such a briefing doesn't happen - is that with no evidence? IMHO the professionalism of the team is at least as good as any of the seven schools I've dealt with.

There are actually two similar fences & gates at Lee - one on the taxiway from SF, prior to the 23 runway and one on the taxiway about 2/3 of the way back from the 05 end - both are built in the same way and finished in the same shade of blue. Its just that the 05 gate is too narrow for a pa28 (by a metre or so) and a non-parallell grass taxiway needs to be used - plus the taxiway centrelines aren't so you do have to be awake even on the wider gate.

The fences appear somewhat substantial and given it would be the gate post that was hit - I'd be surprised if it even had a paint scratch from a pa28 wing - let alone cause any disruption.