PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jerez V Oxford: Again!
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2006, 08:45
planeshipcar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cfwake,

You seem like an intelligent/ articulate guy (or girl) who just needs to take a more closer look at the market around. There are quite a few other options a part from the Oxford integrated route. It took me along while to get an understanding for the exact course content of all modules and exams to get the licences and then employment. This includes almost every flight school, every palce where you can get a type rating, all the prices, who's hiring, what qualification etc, basic syllabi and all this as every ppruner knows is ever changing.

What you will find in the process is a particular route will really appeal to you and others will make you wonder how the hell others can follow their own path.

I think there is something about Oxford where most wannabees are first attracted. There is certainly a sense of security in their marketing, however real that sense of security is left for conclusion for those who have gone right through the school and their bank accounts. All in all, you will find lot's of guys from Oxford who are really pleased and have the BA job and alike and then you'll also find some who have had to fork out for the Ryanair route or another expensive scheme where they could have spent a hell of a lot less and done it on a modular course.

As for Scroggs having a go at integrated courses and public school. I have to becareful because when you meet people you only meet a sample of a course etc, but he has a point - FROM MY PERSPECTIVE - I get the impression that lots have gone to very good schools and I imagine doesn't do them any harm in getting there job with the right airs and graces. Flying is (for some) and has been and 'old boys' club to an extent for some, especially at some establishments but this doesn't mean its exclcsive in anyway to anyone! There is nothing wrong with going to public school and I don't think that's what anyone is trying to suggest.
Anyway, I went to public school I couldn't give a sh*t if someone had ago don't be too sensitive.

As with this whole Jerz V Oxford. From my perspective both offer the same intensity academically and very similar formal approach. So I wold would shy from debating aircraft type etc and take into account questions like,

environment?

Will I like living in sunny spain, however away from home, what if something goes wrong?

or

The interest on the BBA bank is so much metter than HSBC.

Do more Oxford/ Jerez graduates end up paying for their type rating?

I think you'll find that no one can tell you one is better than the other. It's just up to your sutiablity and gutt.

hope this helps and good luck to everyone especially,

cfwake - you'll get there!

cheers