PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2006, 23:47
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I can't remember where I saw it (somewhere on the internet) but some sources are now suggesting that the Sea Harrier FRS 51s of the Indian Navy will continue in service for six years longer than planned. Which is interesting.....

So now more delays. Any offers as to whether CVF or CVN21 will enter service first?

Also, you may remember my comments regarding cuts and overstretch in the surface fleet. Well see this article from Janes.

It strikes me that there is a catch 22 type situation here. Cuts are justified in the name of better equipment for high intensity operations, but the reduction in numbers causes us problems with low intensity operations, with increases the chances of high inensity operations, which then causes more problems....

The UK Royal Navy's (RN's) most senior officer has argued that the service should accept sacrificing quality for quantity if it is to maintain a surface fleet of sufficient size to contribute to maritime security operations on a global scale.

The size of the RN's frigate/destroyer force has seen a significant decline over the past decade, falling from 35 ships in 1996 to 25 today. Admiral Sir Alan West, Adm Band's predecessor as Chief of Naval Staff and First Sea Lord, was public in his opinion that this level is too small to meet the full spectrum of taskings, noting that the figure of 25 was based on analysis of high-intensity warfighting tasks alone and did not address wider maritime security needs, or make any allowance for attrition.

Alternatively, procure low cost vessels specifically for maritime security tasks to augment the FF/DD force - perhaps similar to the Italian Commandante Class Light Combatant Ships. Not very useful in a high intensity war situation, but more than capable of maritime security operations, board and search operations etc.

I can't help feeling that there's a real danger that CVF will be seen in isolation.