PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class C radar direction
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2006, 22:57
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Coral, you state:

Whats happened Dick - lost interest again? Can't answer the tough questions?
Actually I’ve been overseas in the UK and other places. I have also been involved in attempting to have influence to prevent the outrageous sell-off of Qantas. I believe I will have some success there.

To those on PPRuNe who complain about Geoff Dixon, I can assure you that when Qantas is funded (read owned) by US banks that the airline will be torn apart for the maximum short term return, and the management (if you could call it that) will be totally ruthless in maximising their own incomes.

Roger Over, you state:

I hate to disagree, but you've missed the point in sending tower controllers to/from Hawaii. The procedures in use are already very similar to what's used in the towers on the Queensland coast
Oh, I wish this were true. I would suggest you talk to the major charter operator at Hamilton Island. Ask about the number of times his helicopters are held at the control zone boundary, orbiting over water, with the implicit safety problems.

As stated on this thread, US Class D towers are basically VFR. The IFR separation is conducted from the Centre using radar where it is available. Of course, over 50% of US Class D towers have no radar coverage available in the airspace immediately above the Class D.

I suggest you try flying VFR into Tamworth when there is a bit of training activity going on, and possibly and airline aircraft approaching or departing. You will find that it is one of the most complex procedures out. In fact, I’ve heard pilots say that they will never go back there again because it was so intimidating.

Remember, in the USA, Class D operates in a similar way to our GAAP procedures. That is, you do not actually request a clearance as a VFR pilot – you state what you want to do. Quite often the controller will simply come back and say “Join downwind, follow a 737.”

I can assure you that the US Class D system is incredibly simple and friendly. There is no comparison with what we do here in Australia.