PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines you wish still existed
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2006, 19:51
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan Air and Other Thoughts

Despite being a BCAL Man (through and through), I had a lot of time for Dan Air people (and its the people who make any company work, even when logic says it shouldn't). Not only was there some behind the scenes collaboration on Contingencies between BCAL and Dan Air, but also I was always impressed how they did so much with so little, in IT, Engineering, in fact every department.

They did work their Aircraft and Crews hard, and during the shortish period I was using them almost weekly to Switzerland, the punctuality and service was excellent, the Cabin Staff were Manchester based and I often travelled out from Gatwick and then back with the same Girls (I think eventually Dan Air had a token Steward). A longer day for them than most of the BCAL Cabin Staff on short haul would normally expect.

In many ways a great Airline, but needed massive inward investment to break out of the 'aged' fleet mode of operation. I suspect Branson looked at what he would to spend after taking-over Dan and thought better of it.

I can understand there is still some resentment over the BA takeover of Dan Air and compared with how BA Handled both the BA Airtours Reorganisation (just before the BCAL Takeover) and the Dan Air Takeover, I think the BCAL Staff got off lightly.