PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jerez V Oxford: Again!
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2006, 16:51
cfwake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi everyone

thank you for all the info which i have read and had time to digest.

i must say i have actually been to OAT for a very thorough look around and cannot find a bad thing to say about it. everyone that i have met has been extremely frienldy, and that includes those students that i was not introduced to.

i would like to add that i am extremely aware of the financial benefit of heading to FTE over OAT, but while people do make comments about OAT bigging their link with the airlines up, I have spoken to many, many people in the industry, pilots as well as educational and recruitment staff and i would argue that their boasts are justified. I would also add that FTE makes reference to their links with industry as well. I would not hold this against anyone as at the end of the day these people want your business and it would be negligent and a poor marketing strategy not to make mention of thoise airlines who recruit pilots from each school, wouldn't you if you were trying to fill places for your own school??

adding to that, i would remind people that no flying school ever says that they have links with airlines and that other schools do not, there is a line between advertising and false information.

most of the answers have revolved around modular vs integrated courses. i would like to interject and state that that wasn't actually a debate i was concerning myself with as i am definitely going integrated, while i understand the cost and flexibility benefits, this is a route that i am not going down and i am happy with the financial implications; i have been researching into flying jobs for years as many other people and have come to a personal decision that i am fortunate enough to be able to secure finance for this route.

the sim argument, i would argue, i a valid one and the reason i ask, but i would argue for the 737 sims as these are more representative of the aircraft type that one would fly in career mode for an airline. while it may not be worth almost twelve thousand cheaper, i would advise against rubbishing the value of this but who am i to say that i haven't started my course yet even!!!

but thank you very much for the replies, the modular debate is interesting but not for me.

Scroggs, however, i would like to consder your points. you mentioned that some airline pilots didn't go to public school. well some do and indeed some of us trainees did so watch your comments on that issue as it could appear insulting and ill-informed.

i never insinuated that modular pilots have fewer employment prospects than integrated students but i have done a lot of research into the issue and for my two cents i would argue that for some (not all) airlines, an integrated student may be seen as a preferable option to a modular student, as it may well be the other way round for others.

scroggs, i would never dumb down the modular route as it is the same hard work and sometimes is probably harder due to external pressures usually places on mod guys over integs. Perhaps you should consider that you are suggesting that those pilots who go down an integrated route are foolish for doing so.

thank you all for the comments, i look forward to your replies (especially scroggs - don't take it personally mate!)

Last edited by cfwake; 28th Nov 2006 at 18:24.